Monday, February 22, 2010

Sleep: Operation Narcolepsy

Sleep is the one of the most important aspects to living a healthy lifestyle. Being healthy is not all about eating nutritious and organic food, working out for hours each day, or staying up to date with the news to find out what is the next major health concern in today's society; having a proper and consistent sleep schedule is essential to keeping one's body up and running. I think that this point is often overlooked by our hectic society of today, and it is long overdue that something is changed about this.
For our second task day, "The Presidents" did a study on the effects of sleep, both positive and negative, and created a video to show our new knowledge. While working on the video a few things really caught my attention. Previously, I knew that sleep was incredibly important to people being able to function; I cannot mention how many times, during college, that I got 4 hours of sleep one night and the next day I completely failed at everything. However, the one really cool thing that I discovered while doing this task day was that sleep has a serious connection with the memory function of the brain. So much of the time students subtract time from their sleep hours in order to give more time to studying; this is not such a good idea, because often times a lack of sleep will not only hinder someone physically the next day, but also will also hamper the person's ability to remember things. So next time you think that sleeping is just another way to take more time out of your day, remember (if you can) to ask yourself "Am I really saving time and helping myself by not sleeping?"

No comments:

Post a Comment