Tuesday, February 2, 2010

MENTAL WORKOUT. -TY.




Our goal: to exercise mentally.
Task: Read each other’s recent favorite article to expand knowledge base.
Success? Absolutely. Not only did I learn new things, each article gave me a deeper glimpse of my team members and their interests.




“Want to boost your memory? Sleep on it.”
–TIME mag. [Dawns Article.]
Summary: “During deep sleep, the brain replies certain experiences from the day, which, in turn, strengthens the memory of what happened…Deep sleep can strengthen factual memories, but only if the person naps within 12 hrs of learning.”
Thoughts: I gained a new feature to my “excuses to nap” list.
“Obama admin may take action on BCS.”
–SI.com [Josh’s article]
Summary: The Obama administration is openly questioning the legality of the BCS in college football in attempts to change it.
Thoughts: Does this scare anyone else? Why the hell is the gov’t trying to get involved in athletics. It smells like communism?
“A missed connection leads to a special bond.”
–Chicago Tribune [Jessica’s article]
Summary: “Random acts of kindness are witnessed everyday, but such sustained displays of altruism are far less common.” –Tom Smith [U of Chicago]
Thoughts: The text read: “I cried and cried and cried.” I was so involved at this point with the story of a wealthy man’s value for a stranded 79 yr old woman, I felt myself want to cry with her. Thank God I didn’t. Its risky business crying in the middle of a coffee shop, especially when my group mates probably already think I’m a bit weird as it is.
Dean, a wealthy 43 yr old Chicago businessman, took an excess of time, energy and money to give Elsie, a 79 yr old Canadian woman, a push around the airport in a wheelchair, a place at his table to eat, and a comfortable bed to sleep. Growing up amongst the wealthy, who far more often make comfort and convenience their narrow path from which they rarely stray, I fell in love with this story of true altruism.

No comments:

Post a Comment